“La Fe Preparatory Chess Club”
“A Legacy of Greatness”
- La Fe Preparatory Chess Club has been actively competing since May 2010.
- 1st Tournament attended was the Women’s World Champion “Susan Polgar” in 2010 @Armijo Center in a Simultaneous Chess Exhibition.
- The La Fe Chess Team has accumulated over 140 Team Trophies including over 97 1st Place Team finishes.
- The Team has accumulated over 150 Individual Trophies and over 500 Individual Medals.
- The La Fe Chess Team students are currently the highest (USCF) Rated Players in all the Borderland Region.
- The La Fe Chess Team has been recognized for the most winnings in the Borderland this includes El Paso, all West Texas, Las Cruces and Southern New Mexico since 2012.
- Our students have competed against the best in the world including many Grand Masters and Champions including: Women’s World Champion “Susan Polgar” from Hungary, “Sergey Erenburg” from Russia. “Gustavo Maass” from Mexico, International Master “Roberto Martin Del Campo”Mexican Women’s Champion “Ivette Garcia Morales” National Master “Ben Coraretti” from the USA, IM “Dionisio Aldama” from Cuba. National Master “Victor Gomez” from Mexico.
- Our Team was awarded the Team of the Year Award 2019 from the El Paso Chess Community.
- Coach Jose Plasencia was presented the “2014 Coach of The Year Award” & “2015 Chess Ambassador of the Year” “Chess Promoter of the Year Award 2019”.
- La Fe Chess Team has participated in: Douglass Elementary, Eastwood Knolls Elementary, Y.I.S.D Offices, UTEP, EPCC Valle Verde, NMSU , Bel Air High School, Tierra Del Sol Elementary, MacArthur Elementary, Hacienda Heights Elementary, Eastwood Knolls, Lancaster Elementary, Henderson Middle School, Wiggs Middle School, Montanas High School, Onate High School, Americas High School, La Fe Prep School, Indian Rigde Middle School, Montana Vista Middle School, Fannin Elementary, South Loop Elementary and many more.
- Venues and city libraries and locations that the Team has participated in: Armijo Library, Armijo Rec Center, Sergio Troncoso Library, Judge Marquez Library, El Paso Main Library, Missouri Rec Center,El Paso Hyatt Hotel, Holiday Inn Downtown, 2nd Floor Art Gallery, Nations Tobin Rec Center, YMCA Bowling, San Jacinto Plaza, Cielo Vista Golf Course.
- La Fe Preparatory Chess Club Notable Team Wins: La Fe Preparatory Chess Team are the recipients of the 1st Place Team Battle of I-10 Las Cruces vs. El Paso, 1st Place Team in the “Southwest Showdown” at UTEP, 1st Place Team in the NMSU Team Battle, La Fe Chess Club has competed 3 times in the Texas Chess Association Region 4 Championships and have finished 1st in all of their attempts (2016, 2018, 2019). They are the current West Texas Champions.
- The Chess Team has also had many notable wins outside El Paso, including many in Cd. Juarez in the Olympidada Estatal, where our students won the title to play for Cd. Juarez in the Mexican National Championships, Las Cruces, NM, Albuquerque NM, and Alamogordo, NM.